A top contender for the invention of the Original Margarita? Dallas socialite (and party animal) Margarita Sames. It’s been 75 years since her vacation to Acapulco where she mixed her two favourite spirits, Cointreau and tequila, with lime juice to create the iconic cocktail.
Now, you can find both the original and innovative variations at many restaurants! Here are 5 local spots celebrating with Cointreau (and tequila and lime) for delicious additions to history.
1) El Corazon‘s MANGO TAJIN Margarita
with peach liqueur and house-made strawberry syrup.
14101 West Block Dr., unit #150
2) The Backyard‘s WATERMELON Margarita
with watermelon Redbull.
3) The Pint Public House‘s STRAWBERRY BASIL Margarita
with strawberry purée and basil simple syrup.
4) California Pizza Kitchen‘s COINTREAU TROPICAL Margarita
with mango juice, pineapple juice, and a pineapple wedge.
5260 Windermere Blvd.
5) MKT Bar + Fare‘s BLOOD ORANGE Margarita
with fresh orange juice, blood orange purée, and jalapeño pepper/salt.
8101 Gateway Blvd.
What’s your first stop going to be?! Which one was your favourite? We wanna know! @WhereEdmonton